Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health. Obesity is a disease that can have deadly health risks.
People who are diagnosed with obesity have an increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions, including the following:
- All-causes of death (mortality)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Heart Attacks
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Sleep apnea
- Breathing problems
- Cancers of the esophagus, pancreas, colon, rectum, kidney, endometrium, ovaries, gallbladder, breast, or liver.
- Poor quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders as low self-esteem or depression.
- Body and Back pain
- Urinary incontinence
Contact Family Nutrition Center to schedule an appointment with our Registered Dietitians. Let us help you meet your health and nutrition goals.